Step-by-step guide on how to add the Windows Hosts file to the
Windows Defender ignored files list on Windows 8.
for a step-by-step guide for Windows 10 click here
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on the arrow.
3. Find and click on Windows Defender to open it.
4. When Windows Defender has opened, click on “Settings”.
5. Click on “Exclude files and locations” then on “Browse” to open the browse dialog.
6. Use the browse dialog to find the Hosts file then click on it to highlight it. The file will be in “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”.
Click “OK” when the hosts file is selected to close the browse dialog.
7. Click the “Add” button to add the hosts file to the exclude list.
8. Finally, click on “Save changes” and then close Windows Defender.
Congratulations, you have added the Windows hosts file to the Windows 8 Defender ignored files list.